What equipment should I bring for paddling?
Take equipment specific to paddling:
- Life jacket or PFD (Personal
Flotation Device) for each person on board
- Buoyant heaving line
- Sound-signalling device
- Bailer or bilge pump
- Sprayskirt if kayaking to keep water out of cockpit
- Helmet for kayak surfing, rafting, and white water paddling
- Proper clothing including a dry suit, wet suit or other cold
- Paddle float to aid in re-boarding, self rescuing.
- Extra clothing, spare paddle or blade, spray skirt, throw
bag and dry bag
- Charts or local knowledge of hidden obstacles
- Communication device (phone, VHF Marine Radio)
- First aid kit
- Water and snacks
- Sponge - to get last bit of water out of the boat.
- Duct Tape - for quick repairs
- Rescue knife
- Float bags to provide positive buoyancy if kayak does not have sealed bulkhead storage compartments.
How do I use self rescue straps during a rescue?
We show you here how to do a self rescue efficiently and safely using our deck mounted self rescue straps. The safety straps are standard on most touring and sea kayak models of Riot Kayaks and Boreal Design. Stay with your boat and hold on to your ...
What are the Mandatory Kayak Accessories/Equipment in Canada?
The Small Vessel Regulations enforced by the Canadian Coast Guard establishes a minimum of safety equipment that you must carry with you in your kayak (or any vessel under 6 meters in length): Personal flotation device (PFD). When selecting your PFD ...
What clothing should I wear paddling?
When selecting what to wear, consider the environment you are in or could be in. As with many outdoor activities you’ll want to use the quick dry layer system, wearing distinct layers of clothing rather than one or two thick layers. In all but the ...
I have a small cut in the hull of my kayak. Is it possible to repair this damage?
Yes, even though it is very hard to cut or damage our kayaks, if it does happen, then please order your repair material from one of our dealers where you bought your kayak. Please note that not all colors maybe available. You will then need a ...
How do I install safety rescue straps on back deck of my kayak?
Installing safety rescue straps on your Riot or Boreal Design kayak is relatively straight forward if not already there. 1) Locate the pin holes on top deck to drill. Alternatively use the holes in each end of strap as a guide to mark the holes ...